Simpson & Brown Architects with Addyman Archaeology

Menu
Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

View of the bandstand before restoration

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

View of the bandstand and amphitheatre in 2012

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

View of stage area of bandstand in 2012

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Cross section of the bandstand and amphitheatre site

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Illustrated glossary accompanying the conservation management plan

Kelvingrove Bandstand

Kelvingrove Bandstand

The bandstand restored and re-opened in May 2014

Kelvingrove Bandstand dates to 1924, yet fell into disuse in the 1990s, soon becoming derelict and vandalised. Listed in category B, the bandstand and amphitheatre are located in a prominent location in Kelvingrove Park, next to the River Kelvin and within sight of the University of Glasgow. After many years on the Buildings at Risk Register (where it was latterly described as 'critical'), the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust appointed us to write a conservation management plan to support applications for grant funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund and other grant-giving organisations.

The funding applications were succesful, and the GBPT, along with the Glasgow-based architects Page\Park, used the plan in the project to restore the bandstand and amphitheatre, reopening it to the public in May 2014.

 


Useful links:

Glasgow Building Preservation Trust - gbpt.org
Download conservation management plan [PDF, 15.4mb]
RCAHMS Canmore - NS56NE 4621
Listed building report - 46592