The University of Glasgow opened its George Gilbert Scott designed Gilmorehill campus in 1870, having moved from the city centre site the institution had occupied for over four centuries. The University expanded across the site in the late 19th century and into the residential area of Hillhead to the north from the 1930s onwards. Now comprising over 150 buildings, of which more than half are listed, the University is the second-biggest landowner in the city and one of the most significant owners of historic buildings in the country. It is in this context that the Estates & Buildings office commissioned an Estates Conservation Strategy to help assist in the long-term management of the campus. With a wide and varied audience, the document is an interesting variant of a conservation report.
Further work included a conservation plan for the Thomson Building, a complex mix of George Gilbert Scott buildings with later alterations by John James Burnet, and which houses the Hunterian Museum of Anatomy and anatomical research laboratories. A further conservation plan was produced for the George Gilbert Scott designed Professors’ Square, ahead of a proposal to refurbish and extend academic facilities, and a concise conservation statement was produced for the William Whitfield designed Hunterian Art Gallery and Mackintosh House.