This conservation plan was commissioned by 13th Earl of Wemyss & March to inform the conservation, repair, use, management and possible alterations of Gosford House and its landscape. Gosford House is a category A-listed building located between Longniddry and Aberlady, in Gosford Bay, on the shore of the Firth of Forth, East Lothian.
The building comprises of two major phases of development, separated by about a century. Its centre block and original wings were built from the 1780s by the 7th Earl of Wemyss, largely to a design by Robert Adam who died in 1792. After his death the designs were altered, by Thomas Harrison of Lancaster, and possibly others, and the building completed. In the 20th century, the house and estate declined, and were requisitioned in 1939 for use by the army who caused serious damage to the house and neglected the estate.