The Dunfermline Carnegie Library is a category B listed building in the centre of the city and royal burgh of Dunfermline. The library building consists of three main phases of construction. The first was the library as completed in 1883 – designed by J C Walker – this was the first Andrew Carnegie-funded public library in the world. The building was then altered and extended by J Shearer – the design and construction of this phase was interrupted by the First World War and was finally completed in 1922. The final significant phase dates to 1993 when the library was extended by the then Dunfermline District Council’s in-house architect L Dunkerley.
This conservation management plan was an update of an earlier report produced in 2007 by Simpson & Brown, and was commissioned to inform and assist in the construction of an extension to provide a major new museum and art gallery designed by Richard Murphy Architects.