Rothesay Pavilion, on the Isle of Bute, is remarkable building of historical and architectural significance. Opened in 1938, the building was a reaction to the inter-war decline in visitors travelling ‘doon the watter’ (the phenomenon of holiday makers travelling by boat, primarily from the industrial heartlands of Glasgow and towns on the Firth of Clyde) to the seaside resort. Architecturally, the building is an intriguing and distinctly Scottish response to the International Style – a combination of Streamline Moderne forms and cast stone cladding. It is listed in category A.
The conservation management plan was commissioned by Argyll and Bute Council and the Prince’s Regeneration Trust to inform the future repair and refurbishment of the pavilion. This will ensure that the pavilion remains a key focus for the local community, and again becomes a key feature in the attraction of the town to visitors.
The report was richly illustrated with original archive material sourced from both the RCAHMS and Argyll and Bute Council Archives.