Mavisbank was designed in 1722 by William Adam and Sir John Clerk of Penicuik and completed in 1727. Mavisbank is the 'little villa' of Clerk's poem The Country Seat, to which Adam's book of designs, Vitruvius Scoticus, is closely related. The importance of the partnership between Clerk and Adam to the development of Scottish architecture cannot be overstated. Mavisbank passed out of the Clerk family in 1815, becoming an asylum in 1876. Dr Harrowes, the last Medical Superintendent, bought the house in 1946. Archie Stevenson broke cars in the forecourt in the 1950s and in the 1970s Mavisbank was gutted by fire. The 70 acres of designed landscape were acquired by Scottish Ministers in 1986 and although ownership of the house remained uncertain, the shell was secured by Historic Scotland, pending a resolution.
The Mavisbank Trust was formed with the specific aim of finding a way to restore Mavisbank and its designed landscape. In May 2012 Historic Scotland, Midlothian Council, the Edinburgh & Lothians Greenspace Trust and the Mavisbank Trust signed a partnership agreement that outlines their joint vision for the restoration project.
It is proposed that the exterior of the house is partially restored to provide a watertight shell. The two pavilions will be converted to a small holiday let and the other to creative arts workshops with exhibition space. A new access road will be constructed and the grounds made accessible as a community park, with limited restoration of key landscape features.
The Design Team, led by Simpson & Brown together with The Mavisbank Trust, have submitted an application for Historic Lottery Funding to develop the project to the next stage.
|Client name:||The Mavisbank Trust|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|