Blairtummock House is a category B-listed building located in the Easterhouse area of Glasgow. Simpson & Brown were the architects for its conversion to an Enterprise Centre providing office accommodation, with the principal rooms being available for hire by businesses and local community groups.
The house dates from the 18th century. It was altered many times in the 19th century, but was most radically remodelled in 1904 by iron-master Andrew Lamberton. After compulsory purchase in 1954 the house was internally stripped, sub-divided and finally left empty. At the inception of this project it was in an exceptionally poor condition. Failure of the gutters and roofs had led to extensive dry and wet rot affecting many of the timbers and materials leaving some areas unstable.
Simpson & Brown prepared a Conservation Plan which recorded the building’s historical development, assessed and graded significance and outlined the conservation needs. By tracing Lamberton family members, plans and photographs were obtained which showed building elements that had been lost. Options for the future use of the building were assessed with office use recommended as the most sustainable option and offering the greatest benefit to the local community.
Work to restore and convert Blairtummock House involved the restoration of the three principal rooms together with the entrance hall using historic photographs and the small amount of original fabric that had survived. The remaining rooms have been converted to provide office and ancillary spaces, with additional office accommodation located in a new extension to the rear. An entrance atrium was formed to provide access via the lift to all parts of the building and leading out to a sheltered courtyard formed by the original stables, also converted to provide self-contained office accommodation.
Externally, works included the removal of cement render and reinstatement of the original lime and limewash finish. The chimneys were all reinstated to their original design and the roofs and leadwork were all renewed. Where possible original joinery, windows and doors were retained and overhauled with any new pieces being made to match the original design.
|Project name:||Blairtummock House|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|