Simpson & Brown Architects with Addyman Archaeology

Menu
History

History

The Old Printworks

The first record of the Old Printworks is in the Post Office directory of 1887-8, when building was known as 77 Montgomery Street. The building is described as premises of ‘William Thyne, stationer’.

By May 1953 the building had come into the ownership of the Farmers’ Supply Company, and drawings were produced for alterations to the building to convert it into a grain store. The plans show exterior access only to the middle level of the building, from the Montgomery Street, and the interior as open space with some areas partitioned-off for use as offices, heated by fireplaces.

In the 1960s, the building changed hands and entered multiple occupancy. The building was purchased by an Edinburgh surgeon with the aim of fostering artists and artisans in the city. The upper floor was used collectively by companies and individuals involved in the creative industries, while the central and lower floors were occupied by printing company City Litho.

In 2003 The Old Printworks was purchased by Newhaven Communications, an advertising company, who continued the businesses tenancies.

In 2010, a mural based on the works of Eduardo Paolozzi was added to the side of the Old Printworks building. Planned by Leith Walk Primary School as a celebration of the artist, who attended the school in the 1920s, the mural features geometric shapes and images drawn from fashion magazines, referencing Paolozzi’s colourful collages.

In 2013 Newhaven Communication was purchased by the Leith Agency and left the Old Printworks. The building was rented by Simpson & Brown in 2016, who occupy the whole west end of the building, and the east end of the top floor: the remaining space is taken up by other tenants.