Hawthornden Castle, Midlothian
Hawthornden Castle is dramatically sited on a rocky outcrop above the North Esk river in Midlothian. In the rocks beneath, the remains of 15th century tower survive. Round-headed windows along the south side may have lit a courtyard of a later date. Buildings to the north are attributed to the poet Sir William Drummond who restored the house "for himself and his successors" in 1638. The internal layout of Sir William's building has been altered, but one first-floor bedroom retains an original moulded ceiling. 18th century features remain, such as a flat arched panelled fireplace, the elegant main staircase, and the fielded panelling and lugged doorcases of the Library. A studded timber door on the east range bears the initials of Sir William's son and daughter-in-law. In the red-harled north range, a Renaissance doorway is set with the heraldic plaque of Bishop Abernethy, dated 1795.
Following the death of the last baronet, Sir James Drummond, Hawthornden was acquired by a private client. Simpson & Brown were commissioned to carry out restoration work including repairs to the stonework of the old castle using salvaged stone
from the demolished Caledonian Station in Edinburgh.