Simpson & Brown Architects with Addyman Archaeology

Menu
Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Detail of Charles Wilson's 1843 building

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Details of various parts of the former hospital building

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Detail of the recreation hall window

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Site plan showing historical development

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Gartnavel Royal Hospital

Site plan showing unbuilt wings

Designed by the noted Glasgow architect Charles Wilson and opened in 1843, Gartnavel Royal Hospital has long been a significant feature of the West End.  The hospital campus has undergone many changes in the intervening years – not least the construction of Gartnavel General hospital on one half of the site, which opened in 1972.  A new Gartnavel Royal Hospital was completed in 2007 meaning that the Wilson buildings, now category A-listed, required a new use. 

We were commissioned to complete a conservation audit to assess the historical development and current significance of the hospital buildings and landscape which assisted in the identification of a future use and development potential of the site.

 


Useful links:

RCAHMS Canmore - NS56NE 140.00
Listed building report - 32319