The fluted Tuscan column, designed by William Burn in 1821, stands in the centre of the newly landscaped St Andrew Square and is category A-listed. It commemorates Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville whose statue surmounts the Cullalo stone column. The 45m high column was sufficiently complex to need engineering assistance from Robert Stevenson who advised Burn on the foundations and scaffolding required. A turnpike stair rises through the column, lit by slit windows, giving access to the top of the monument.
Commissioned by Edinburgh City Council, the work included stone repairs, lime pointing to joints, installation of a new lightning conductor, graffiti removal and joinery repairs to the upper door and a new timber panelled door installed at the base.
|Project name:||The Melville Monument|
|Client name:||City of Edinburgh Council|
|View Map →|