Simpson & Brown was commissioned to carry out the repair and restoration of the Frank Matcham designed King’s Theatre in Glasgow. Built in 1904 for Howard & Wyndham, who owned and managed theatres throughout Great Britain the theatre continues to operate in its original use as a 'receiving house' for touring companies. Original finishes have been replaced and the building fabric altered during this time. The aim of the project was to restore the front of house areas to their layout and decoration in 1904, upgrade the services to modern standards and repair the external fabric. Back of house facilities were improved only where considered necessary to allow the theatre to receive modern productions and satisfy current health and safety requirements.
Two phases of work have been completed including rebuilding the stalls and upper circle floor, installation of removable seating and platforms offering a flexible orchestra pit, dedicated seating for the disabled, strengthening works to the upper circle balcony front and new auditorium seating and floor finishes in the stalls, grand circle and upper circle.
|Project name:||King's Theatre, Glasgow|
|Download Project sheet →||View Map →|